The SIS10 Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package is the national framework for skills development in the Sport, Fitness and Recreation industries.
In February 2017 the Australian Industry and Skills Committee (AISC) approved SkillsIQ, under the direction of the Sport, Fitness and Recreation Industry Reference Committee (IRC), to undertake a thorough review of all nationally recognised Outdoor Recreation Training Package Products included in the SIS10 Sport, Fitness and Recreation Training Package.
This work was to be completed in two stages:
- Stage 1: Update of Equine-related Units of Competency
- Stage 2: Update of all remaining Outdoor Recreation Training Package Products.
Stage 1 was completed in October 2017 and subsequently approved by the AISC in December 2017.
Stage 2 is now under way.
To inform the Stage 2 activities, an Outdoor Recreation Technical Advisory Committee (O Rec TAC) has been formed to guide the project. In addition to the O Rec TAC, ten Expert Working Groups (EWG) have been formed. The EWGs are made up of industry stakeholders and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) who provide:
- guidance at the national level to ensure Training Package Products are flexible and responsive to changing industry and client needs and workplace practices
- specialist advice and strategic direction in relation to stakeholders' feedback and issues relevant to their sub-sectors
- views and feedback on behalf of the sectors/organisations they represent
- support and the facilitation of communication and consultation with industry, including other members of their organisations, association members and other industry networks.
Table 1: List of Expert Working Groups and Activity Specialisations
|Expert Working Group
||Adventure-based Learning, Archery, Rope Challenge Courses
||Cycle Tours (on-road), Mountain Biking (off-road)
||Review Skill Sets and packaging of Equine Units of Competency endorsed during Stage 1
||Planning, Policy, Operations, Interpretation
||Four-wheel Drive, Motor Cycle (off-highway)
|Rock 7 Rope
||Abseiling, Caving, Climbing, Canyoning, Vertical Rescue
||Downhill Skiing, Snowboarding, Cross-country Skiing, Snowcraft Skills
|Water With Paddles
||Canoeing, Kayaking, Sea Kayaking, Rafting, White Water Rescue
|Water No Paddles
||Fishing, Scuba, Snorkelling, Surfing, Stand-up Paddle Board
||Windsurfing, Small Boat Sailing
Consultation Activities and Timelines
National consultation for Draft 1 will be open for a period of four weeks from Thursday 16 August to Monday 17 September 2018
. During this input will be sought on the following:
- 4 Qualifications
- 9 Skill Sets
- 102 Units of Competency and associated Assessment Requirements.
SkillsIQ will be undertaking a number of key activities to engage industry stakeholders and VET professionals. To participate in consultation activities and forums, please access the following links:
Feedback can also be provided online via the SkillsIQ Online Feedback Forum. The Feedback Forum is an online tool designed to capture both stakeholder feedback and to provide an opportunity for stakeholders to view feedback given regarding draft training Package Products.
To access the SkillsIQ Feedback Forum, please click here.