Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Develop guidelines that support positive and respectful interactions and behaviour in children.
- Collaborate with colleagues about expectations for positive and respectful interactions and behaviour.
- Collaborate with children to develop expectations for positive and respectful interactions and behaviour.
- Identify strategies that support children in managing their own pro-social skills and regulation, and are considerate of individual children’s needs, cultures and backgrounds.
- Observe and monitor interactions and behaviour in children.
- Assess the impact of the physical and social environment and curriculum on children’s behaviour.
- Observe children and provide clear and consistent support to encourage positive interactions and behaviour.
- Model consistent approaches and provide support to colleagues through coaching and mentoring.
- Assist children to resolve conflicts appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Collaborate with children to develop alternative responses and behaviours.
- Identify challenging behaviours.
- Recognise factors that may cause challenges for children’s ability to interact positively and engage in the curriculum.
- Observe and document patterns of challenging behaviour according to service policies and procedures.
- Identify and reflect on the variables and influences that can impact an individual child’s behaviour and how this may inform responses.
- Identify and respond to the needs of other children who may be affected by the behaviour.
- Plan support for children.
- Analyse information regarding identified behaviour and use a collaborative approach to planning.
- Identify long-term and short-term objectives that are consistent with child’s cultural practice, abilities, age and developmental stage.
- Identify situations where advice or liaison with other professionals or authorities is needed and take action according to service policies and procedures.
- Develop and document the plan according to service policies and procedures and in consultation with the child’s family.
- Implement and evaluate support plan.
- Collaborate with all those involved to implement the support plan.
- Support colleagues to implement the plan effectively and consistently through coaching and mentoring.
- Review child’s progress regularly using critical reflection, and modify plan where necessary in consultation with colleagues, family members and others caring for the child.
- Critically reflect on own pedagogy to inform future practice.