Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Promote inclusion and inclusive practices.
- Make curriculum decisions that promote inclusion and equitable and effective participation of all children.
- Interact with children and families in ways that demonstrate belief in children’s capacity to succeed and achieve learning outcomes.
- Identify and use opportunities to develop own professional knowledge about inclusive practice.
- Support all children to fully participate as valued members of the group.
- Encourage others to adopt inclusive attitudes and practices through modelling and pro-active communication.
- Identify and reflect on practices that relate to inclusion, equity and diversity and use outcomes to inform improvements.
- Identify barriers affecting children’s participation.
- Recognise and investigate barriers to learning for individual children.
- Collect and use data that assists in understanding of the barrier to learning.
- Develop a holistic understanding of child’s needs in collaboration with others and use this information for planning.
- Develop individual plan for support and inclusion.
- Consider the child’s abilities, goals, interests, expectations and health status in the context of their cultural values, needs and requirements when making decisions.
- Develop and document the inclusion plan in consultation with other professionals and the family.
- Adapt the environment, routines and curriculum to facilitate inclusion of the child.
- Implement plan to meet the child’s needs.
- Support the child and family’s entry into the service through positive and supportive communication.
- Assess and reflect on the level of support provided on a regular basis and adjust actions based on assessment.
- Communicate with, and provide support to others, to implement agreed strategies.
- Establish and maintain constant information exchange with family and appropriate community members about the child’s needs and care strategies.
- Respond to the daily needs of children with additional needs and seek assistance as required.
- Monitor and evaluate strategies.
- Monitor child’s progress through observation and critical reflection.
- Identify any barriers to the strategies being implemented and trial alternative strategies that may address barriers.
- Identify and discuss issues of concern with relevant colleagues and family members based on the goals of the plan.
- Seek and gain family permission prior to consulting with other professionals regarding the child.
- Implement strategies designed or suggested by family or other professionals.
- Ensure communication occurs within a culturally and linguistically responsive framework.
- Closely monitor new strategies and the impact of these on the child.
- Use evaluation outcomes to inform future practice.