Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Encourage and model spoken language.
- Identify and use different styles of verbal communication.
- Demonstrate the correct use and different functions of language in interactions.
- Monitor student’s understanding and use of language through observation, listening and conversation, and provide information to teachers to inform planning.
- Identify progress of language acquisition and discuss with the teacher.
- Use language appropriate to student’s culture, age, abilities, interests and needs.
- Use spoken language to effectively interact with students.
- Talk explicitly about language to scaffold learning.
- Model language appropriate to the situation, the purpose and the audience for students.
- Support students to read and interpret texts.
- Determine strategies for supporting students in the interpretation of texts in consultation with the teacher.
- Implement planned strategies to enhance the abilities of students and address their individual needs.
- Encourage students to problem-solve in order to make meaning from texts.
- Use explicit talk to focus students on specific literacy skills.
- Enhance student’s writing skills.
- Implement strategies devised with teacher to develop student’s skills in the use of written language.
- Use accurate terminology, to support student’s learning.
- Use planned strategies to reinforce literacy skills across all key learning areas.
- Encourage students to improve spelling skills using strategies appropriate to student’s developmental levels.
- Support students to plan their writing tasks through demonstration and explanation.
- Encourage students to reflect on the effectiveness of their writing through use of questioning.
- Support students to effectively edit their writing through demonstration and provision of opportunities for practice.
- Contribute to resource development.
- Plan learning environments and activities in advance with the teacher based on individual needs.
- Contribute ideas for resource design that reinforce literacy skills, while fulfilling curriculum requirements and meet developmental levels.
- Follow organisational procedures for the production of resources.