Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Establish the context for working with students with disabilities.
- Identify and access organisational policies and procedures and regulatory requirements for working with students with a disability.
- Recognise and reflect on how personal values and attitudes towards disability may impact working with students.
- Use reflection to inform own ways of working and improvements in practice.
- Use inclusive practices.
- Use appropriate and non-discriminatory language.
- Use strategies to enhance all students’ sense of belonging to encourage participation.
- Interact with all students in ways that show respect for individual rights, opinions and student confidentiality.
- Identify and take steps that support a safe learning environment for all students.
- Identify and use opportunities to promote a sense of belonging for students with disability.
- Provide support to teachers.
- Use knowledge of individual students to provide input on goals and support strategies for the student.
- Gather and accurately record data as directed by the teacher.
- Identify, prepare and maintain resources that support the learning of students with disabilities.
- Contribute to individual behaviour plans.
- Provide observations of students to inform individual behaviour plans.
- Contribute to student development meetings using a collaborative and constructive approach.
- Implement agreed support strategies with teacher guidance.
- Respond to situations of risk or potential risk.
- Report behaviours which may pose a health or safety issue to students or staff, according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Respond to behaviours of immediate risk using predetermined strategies where available and report to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and report uncharacteristic behaviour to teachers or other team members according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Take appropriate steps to maintain personal safety of self and others.
- Evaluate actions taken in response to incidents of risk.