Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Work with others to support students with additional needs.
- Identify own roles and responsibilities and those of others involved in supporting students with additional needs.
- Cooperate with others to provide support to students.
- Share information with others to facilitate student support in accordance with organisational policies and procedures.
- Support individual students with additional needs.
- Reflect on own personal values and attitudes regarding additional needs when working with students.
- Show respect, empathy and acceptance for individual differences in dealings with students.
- Acknowledge and accommodate individual student needs in the approach to teaching and learning.
- Provide students with encouragement in order to promote their positive self-concept and self-esteem.
- Identify the role, purposes and content of individual education programs to address additional needs.
- Use language, equipment, materials and strategies suited to individual student needs.
- Follow individual education programs planned by teachers for particular students, and recommend amendments as appropriate.
- Support the rights, interests and needs of students with disabilities as part of the education team.
- Recognise the key issues facing students with disabilities and their carers.
- Apply the context of policy, regulatory and legal requirements to working with students with a disability.
- Demonstrate a commitment to access and equity principles in all work.
- Apply understanding of the effects that specific disabilities may have on student learning.
- Investigate and use strategies that assist students with disabilities to exercise their rights and independence.
- Assist with classroom programs to support students with additional needs.
- Identify and follow classroom strategies and programs used to support individual students.
- Assist with the modification of general activities to meet individual student needs where necessary.
- Assist with whole class activities as directed by teacher.
- Use behaviour management strategies and techniques appropriate to student and as directed by teacher.
- Take appropriate steps to maintain personal safety of self and others.
- Contribute to learning opportunities.
- Identify and support strategies used by teachers to encourage problem-solving by students.
- Identify and support strategies used by teachers to assist development of independence and social skills in students.
- Observe and take opportunities to encourage and support incidental learning by students.
- Provide suggestions to teachers to improve learning opportunities of students based on observations.
- Gather and record data as directed by the teacher.
- Provide constructive advice and feedback to students.