Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Prepare to provide support to people living with dementia.
- Interpret individualised plan and familiarise self with the specific needs and preferences of the person living with dementia.
- Apply person-centred care approaches to all interactions with the person living with dementia.
- Consult with the person and their carer to provide and maintain a stable and familiar environment.
- Recognise signs consistent with abuse or neglect of the person and report according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Use appropriate communication strategies.
- Communicate in a supportive manner that respects the person’s needs, rights and cultural background and upholds their dignity.
- Maximise engagement of the person with dementia using verbal and non-verbal communication strategies.
- Provide reassurance to the person and facilitate cooperation using reality orientation.
- Use a range of validation strategies with the person to relieve distress and agitation.
- Provide activities for maintenance of dignity, skills and health.
- Access information about the person’s reminiscences and routines from carer.
- Organise activities which aim to maintain independence, using familiar routines and existing skills.
- Provide opportunities for autonomy and risk-taking according to the needs and preferences of the person, while preserving their safety and comfort.
- Identify and support the person’s use of assistive technologies in meeting their individual needs.
- Organise activities that reflect the preferences and culture of the person, to stimulate pleasurable memories.
- Provide support to the person’s carer as applicable.
- Implement strategies which minimise the impact of behaviours of concern.
- Refer to individualised plan to identify documented behaviours of concern and potential triggers.
- Contribute to team discussions on support planning and review.
- Use identified strategies to minimise the likelihood of and reduce the impact of behaviours on the person and others.
- Evaluate implemented strategies with support planning team to determine effectiveness of strategies in minimising behaviours.
- Complete documentation.
- Complete reports including reporting observations to supervisor according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Complete, maintain and store documentation according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Implement self-care strategies.
- Monitor own stress level when working with people with dementia.
- Use self-care strategies and seek support if required according to organisational policies and procedures.