Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Identify behaviours of concern that are likely to put the person or others at risk of harm.
- Define and document behaviours of concern using objective, observable and measurable terms that all people supporting the person can understand.
- Work with the person to identify behaviours of concern using a functional or observational behaviour assessment.
- Consult with the person to identify and assess environmental and lifestyle factors that impact behaviours of concern.
- Consult with the person to identify and assess personal characteristics, physical and mental health, past experiences, skills and limitations, and interpersonal relationships that impact behaviours of concern.
- Work with the person to identify the type, frequency and triggers of behaviours of concern.
- Facilitate the ongoing involvement of others identified by the person in the observation and recording of behaviours of concern and assessment and planning processes.
- Develop positive behaviour support responses using a person-centred approach.
- Ensure that the person’s preferences for including their family, carer or others identified by the person in the ongoing development of supports are taken into account.
- Demonstrate a strengths and evidence-based, best practice approach that reflects and respects the rights, personal choices, needs, abilities and goals of the person.
- Work with the person to develop supports to accommodate lifestyle preferences that are based on accurate records, observations and consultation with all who will use them.
- Work with the person to identify proactive and positive supports to promote behavioural change, including changes to the environment and communication strategies.
- Work with the person to develop interventions and supports that safeguard the person from increased risk of being exploited, abused, or improperly exposed to restrictive practices.
- Work with the person to identify interventions for critical or adverse situations and responses to reduce the risk of harm to the person or others in accordance with legal and ethical requirements and organisational policies and procedures.
- Work with the person to identify the timeframes and goals for implementation of responses, how success will be measured, and how implementation will be monitored and reviewed.
- Consult with the person to identify changes to work practices that may be implemented to reduce the behaviours of concern.
- Work with the person to identify the appropriate supports for the person and workers after a behaviour of concern has occurred.
- Ensure the necessary consents and approvals are documented prior to implementation of the plan.
- Monitor and review the person’s individual behaviour support plan.
- Monitor the person’s individual behaviour support plan in consultation with the person and internal and external support providers or groups identified by the person.
- Monitor the implementation of the plan in consultation with the person to measure improvements to the person’s quality of life and reductions in the risk of harm to the person and others.
- Measure and report on the number of adverse or critical events of behaviours of concern in consultation with the person to determine the effectiveness of the behaviour support plan.
- Coordinate informal or formal debriefing process for relevant workers when critical incidents occur according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Implement changes to the behaviour support plan consistent with evidence collected in consultation with the person, support providers, other professionals and others identified by the person.
- Communicate individual behaviour support plan revisions to all of the people involved in provision of support in consultation with the client and according to organisational policies and procedures for privacy and confidentiality of personal information.
- Complete, maintain and store documentation according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Comply with the person’s right to access their records.