Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Support person to identify and engage in social networks within the broad community.
- Work with the person with disability to identify their strengths, interests, abilities and support requirements so they may engage with a social network within the broad community.
- Research, identify and network with available services to explore community inclusion opportunities that meet the needs of the person.
- Work with the person to match services and networks to their needs, respecting their cultural and other individual needs.
- Work with the person to facilitate active engagement in a social network and identify any supports they may need.
- Work with the person to identify any possible barriers to participation and inclusion and develop strategies to overcome these.
- Identify and access appropriate resources in consultation with the person and according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Provide information about available options to the person with disability, their family, carer or others identified by the person.
- Assist person and relevant others to develop and implement a community support plan as part of the individualised plan.
- Consult with person with disability to develop an individualised plan for community participation, including all necessary supports required for their needs and preferred level of participation.
- Assist person to establish their requirements in order to participate in neighbourhood and local community life according to their needs and preferences.
- Assist the person to identify and access services within the community as identified in the individualised plan.
- Work with the person to facilitate access to opportunities that establish connections through shared interests with other community members in line with funding, budgetary or financial requirements.
- Support the person to access opportunities for participation in work and assist employer to facilitate the person’s participation and inclusion.
- Assist person and their family, carer or others identified by the person to select activities that will enhance inclusion.
- Support other workers to implement the individualised plan according to requirements of the plan.
- Develop strategies to minimise isolation for person with disability.
- Identify support requirements and modifications needed for devices, aids and environment and develop strategies to deal with these in conjunction with the person, their family, carer or others identified by the person.
- Consult with the person to identify supports or devices required to assist with communication.
- Determine physical and other barriers to participation and identify solutions with the person with disability.
- Recognise own limitations in addressing issues and seek advice when necessary.
- Work with the person, their family, carer or others identified by the person to identify and assess barriers to communication and social participation caused by cognitive deficits and develop solutions.
- Work with the person to identify travel and transport issues and strategies to address them.
- Follow organisational policies and procedures to evaluate and ensure ongoing success of strategies in consultation with the person with disability.
- Determine risks associated with supporting community participation and inclusion.
- Discuss elements of risk with the person with disability, their family, carer or others identified by the person.
- Conduct location or activity risk assessment specific to the person’s circumstances.
- Work with the person and others identified by the person to identify and develop strategies to remove or reduce risk.