Facilitate access to tertiary health services
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to develop and maintain links with tertiary health services and to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people to access those services. It requires the ability to interpret service information, provide information to clients and assist with practical arrangements such as transport, accommodation, admission and discharge.
This unit is specific to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people working as health workers or health practitioners. They work as part of a multidisciplinary primary health care team to provide primary health care and other support services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander clients.
No regulatory requirement for certification, occupational or business licensing is linked to this unit at the time of publication. For information about practitioner registration and accredited courses of study, contact the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practice Board of Australia (ATSIHPBA).
Health Care and Support
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Develop and maintain links with tertiary health services
- Source information about relevant tertiary health services, individual organisations and key contacts based on client needs.
- Interpret tertiary service information and extract key points needed to support clients.
- Identify communication lines and protocols for tertiary services departments and individuals.
- Use industry terminology appropriately in communications with the tertiary service.
- Use communication and collaboration skills to establish relationships between and within organisations.
- Provide and share information about own and other organisations to support optimum client outcomes.
- Support clients to access tertiary health services
- Provide clients with current, accurate and relevant information about available tertiary health services and support.
- Identify client assistance needs in relation to practical arrangements based on their individual situation.
- Organise or make required practical arrangements in a timely way to support client needs.
- Assist clients with completion of documentation based on individual needs and tertiary service requirements.
- Identify and liaise with individuals, departments and organisations involved in client care.
- Identify and share client information, perspectives and preferences with service providers.
- Participate in discharge planning
- Identify key individuals involved in discharge planning at the tertiary health service.
- Identify key issues for discharge planning and discuss with client and their family to establish questions and requirements.
- Seek information from the tertiary health service about requirements for timing, transport, medication and follow-up.
- Provide information to client and their family and organise logistical support based on individual needs.
Foundation skills essential to performance in this unit, but not explicit in the performance criteria are listed here, along with a brief context statement.
Reading skills to:
- interpret familiar detailed organisational policies and procedures
- interpret potentially complex unfamiliar information that may include health services terminology.
Writing skills to:
- draft simple information statements, letters or emails on client’s behalf
- complete pre-formatted tertiary service admission and discharge documentation.
Oral communication skills to:
- provide clear and succinct information or instructions to clients
- provide clear and persuasive information about client needs to other individuals or agencies.
Numeracy skills to:
- interpret numerical information, including health, accommodation and transport costs, timetables and schedules
- calculate costs of services.
Technology skills to:
- use features of software packages to complete tertiary service documentation.
UNIT MAPPING INFORMATION
No equivalent unit.
For details, refer to the full mapping table in the Draft 2 Validation Guide.
Companion Volume Implementation Guide