Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Receive delegation and gather information.
- Obtain written or verbal delegation for an allied health activity from the allied health professional.
- Obtain information from speech pathologist or delegating allied health professional, according to organisational policy and procedures.
- Discuss and confirm with delegating speech pathologist treatment plans and programs and identify requirements outside scope of role.
- Prepare for delivery of a speech pathology program.
- Determine person’s availability according to organisation protocols.
- Determine need for an interpreter.
- Prepare equipment to deliver speech pathology program, as specified by the delegating speech pathologist.
- Deliver speech pathology program under supervision of speech pathologist.
- Ensure consent is obtained from the individual, or a third party where applicable.
- Confirm the therapeutic outcomes defined in the program with the person and the delegating speech pathologist.
- Deliver activities as detailed in the treatment plan and as specified by the delegating speech pathologist.
- Use motivators and provide input that reflect age and communication ability of the person.
- Provide person with time, opportunity and encouragement to practise existing and newly developed skills.
- Encourage person to take advantage of planned and unplanned opportunities to integrate skills developed within the program into their daily activities.
- Respond to adverse reaction to the program according to the organisational procedures.
- Provide feedback where goals are not being met according to the person’s needs, to the delegating speech pathologist and the person’s care team to support future planning.
- Assist with developing activities to support speech pathology program.
- Identify the communication goals to be achieved from the speech pathology plan as specified by the delegating speech pathologist.
- Develop activities, in consultation with the delegating speech pathologist to achieve speech pathology goals.
- Assist with the location or development of activities and materials reflective of person’s age and level of functioning.
- Confirm development work with delegating speech pathologist.
- Comply with supervisory requirements.
- Seek assistance when person presents with needs or signs outside scope of role.
- Report persons difficulties to the delegating allied health professional before continuing the program.
- Participate in supervision processes with the delegating allied health professional in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Clean and store equipment and materials.
- Clean equipment and materials in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements.
- Store equipment and materials in accordance with manufacturer’s requirements and organisational procedures.
- Report equipment faults in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Document persons information.
- Document information relating to the speech pathology program in line with organisational requirements.
- Provide regular feedback to the delegating allied health professional.
- Use professional terminology to document symptomatic expression of identified problems related to the speech pathology program.