Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Receive delegation and gather information.
- Obtain written or verbal delegation for an allied health activity from the allied health professional.
- Obtain information from speech pathologist or delegating allied health professional, according to organisational policy and procedures.
- Discuss and confirm with delegating speech pathologist treatment requirements.
- Prepare augmentative and alternative communication systems development.
- Identify any treatment requirements outside scope of role and discuss with delegated speech pathologist.
- Determine persons availability in accordance with organisation procedures.
- Determine need for interpreter.
- Assist in the development of augmentative and alternative communication systems.
- Confirm the nature of the communication system and implications for resource requirements with delegating speech pathologist.
- Confirm person’s previous and current abilities with the delegating speech pathologist to inform choice and presentation of resources.
- Select and confirm suitability of resources, communication system, type of therapy and specified communication goals as delegated by the speech pathologist.
- Identify existing usable resources, as delegated by the speech pathologist.
- Confirm and make resources ensuring they comply with health and safety requirements as delegated by speech pathologist.
- Support the use of augmentative and alternative communication systems.
- Identify the type of communication system and availability of power supply to be used by the person prior to making contact.
- Prepare resources and equipment to facilitate communication via the communication system.
- Set out equipment and furniture and assist the person to ensure optimum access to the communication system, in line with organisational health and safety procedures and delegation from speech pathologist.
- Communicate with person using different modes of communication.
- Comply with supervisory requirements.
- Consult with delegating speech pathologist when additional information is required.
- Seek assistance when person presents with needs or signs outside limits of own scope of role, skills or knowledge.
- Report persons difficulties to the delegating speech pathologist before continuing the program.
- Participate in supervision processes with the delegating speech pathologist in accordance with organisational procedures.
- Clean and store equipment.
- Clean materials and equipment in accordance with manufacturers requirements.
- Store material and equipment in accordance with manufacturers requirements and organisation procedures.
- Report equipment faults according to organisational procedures.
- Document persons information.
- Document information relating to the rehabilitation program in line with organisational requirements.
- Provide regular feedback to the delegating speech pathologist.
- Use professional terminology to document symptomatic expression of identified problems related to the rehabilitation program.