SkillsIQ, under the direction of the First Aid Industry Reference Committee, is undertaking a comprehensive update of eight Units of Competency from the HLT Training Package.
The HLTAID First Aid competency standards were developed to provide a set of robust, industry-supported standards for people who provide First Aid to others.
In these instances, the Statement of Attainment provides evidence to the employer and the community that the worker has the skills and knowledge to be able to provide a First Aid response and sustain life in the event of an emergency.
A widespread multi-channel consultation involving a broad range of stakeholders was conducted to identify and validate the exact nature of the skills needs in the industry, and the respective Training Package Product update requirements.
As a result, industry has identified four key drivers for change in the First Aid Training Package Products, as follows:
- Changes in industry best practice
- Diversity in the scope and breadth of First Aid
- An increase in clarity and uniformity in the content of the Units of Competency wherever possible
- Increased recognition of the role of mental health support in the provision of First Aid.
Consequently, the First Aid IRC has proposed changes which will involve:
- A review of the current Units of Competency to reflect industry best practice and current regulation
- A review of the current Units of Competency to ensure their scope and breadth are reflective of industry expectations
- Consideration of the skills requirements in specific areas, such as asthma and anaphylaxis
- Consideration of the need for additional criteria to address First Aid in relation to mental health.
Consultation Activities and Timelines
National consultation on Draft 1 will occur from Wednesday, 07 August and will close at 5.00pm on Friday, 20 September 2019. During this period input will be sought on proposed new draft Units of Competency and their associated Assessment Requirements.
During this time SkillsIQ will be meeting with industry stakeholders, employers and Subject Matter Experts (SMEs). If you have expertise in these areas and would like to meet with SkillsIQ, please contact SkillsIQ via email@example.com or via phone at (02) 9392 8100.
Following the close of the consultation period, feedback received will be collated and evaluated. This feedback will inform the development of Draft 2, which will be made publicly available for validation prior to the submission for endorsement.
To remain up to date with project developments, please subscribe to SkillsIQ’s mailing list at https://www.skillsiq.com.au/Subscribetoournewsletter.aspx
Consultation Activities: Draft 1
| Monday, 12 August
|| 2.30pm – 3.30pm AEST - closed
| Wednesday, 14 August
|| 10.00am – 11.00am AEST - closed
| Monday, 19 August
|| 4.00pm – 5.00pm AEST- closed
|Tuesday, 17 September
||10:00am - 11:00am AEST
|Thursday, 19 September
|| 4:00pm - 5:00pm AEST
Please click here
to access the PowerPoint presentation slides used in the webinars conducted in August 2019.