Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Identify current career strengths
- Conduct a self-focussed search of current knowledge, skills, abilities, interests and values.
- Include life and work experiences, current and latent abilities and rank in order of personal importance.
- Determine personal preferences in broad terms, including areas of work that are acceptable in the long term.
- Prepare a personal profile that identifies strengths, preferences and opportunities for learning and growth.
- Identify and map career opportunities
- Scan careers and occupations to identify a list of possibilities and their requirements.
- Undertake economic and industry scans to identify available and emerging careers.
- Investigate opportunities for entering possible careers to determine the feasibility of pursuing those options.
- Match personal profile to possible career opportunities and decide on the best option(s) to pursue.
- Develop and implement career plan
- Establish career goals that cater for transition from existing work to preferred future career.
- Develop a career plan that identifies immediate priorities for learning and development as well as medium to long-term strategies to obtain additional skills and experience.
- Undertake gap analysis to identify dated skills and skills that are common to both preferred future career and the organisation’s requirements.
- Initiate career development activities in accordance with the career plan.
- Monitor progress
- Monitor acquisition of skills and experience and seek feedback on performance achievements.
- Consider feedback and integrate as necessary into the career plan.
- Monitor organisational requirements and future career requirements and adjust career plan to take account of new information.
- Monitor progress towards future career and adjust goals as required.
- Contribute to others’ career management
- Assist others to take responsibility for their own careers, research information and plan for future job placements, learning and development.
- Provide feedback on performance and suggest development opportunities to address performance gaps or build on performance strengths linked to career plans.
- Agree upon medium to long term plans and implement to address barriers to career development and meet individual and group learning and development needs.
- Encourage staff to monitor their progress against career goals and adjust long term plans to integrate changed circumstances or new skill requirements.
- Encourage and support staff in applying new skills and knowledge in the workplace.