Teach water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare for and teach water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility according to predesigned lesson plans which may have been developed by self or others. This unit covers skills to adjust lesson plans and modify planned activities to suit learner needs. Lessons are most often provided to groups but could be provided to individuals. Lessons can be provided to both children and adults.
Skills for planning lessons are covered in a complementary unit.
This unit applies to swim teachers who teach in aquatic venues including those operated by commercial, not-for-profit, community and government organisations. Swim teachers work independently using discretion and judgement to manage lesson logistics and solve routine problems. When significant problems arise, they use first aid and rescue skills covered by other units.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Prepare for swimming lesson.
- Check and prepare pool environment to meet lesson requirements and identify and respond to factors that may impact lesson delivery.
- Prepare equipment suited to lesson activities and check for safety and serviceability.
- Assess characteristics and capabilities of learners on arrival through observation and questioning, and adjust lesson plan.
- Issue equipment to match participant characteristics.
- Introduce the lesson.
- Explain lesson activities using communication suited to learner characteristics.
- Provide clear information about safety procedures and signals, safe behaviour, safe areas and boundaries.
- Deliver the lesson.
- Introduce learners to the water using methods suited to learner characteristics.
- Implement techniques suited to learner needs and for teaching water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility.
- Sequence and pace activities according to lesson plan adjusting according to learner needs.
- Provide clear and accurate instructions and demonstrations for water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility drills and activities.
- Monitor all learners’ technique for moving through the water, and provide feedback and corrective instruction based on observations.
- Observe individual learners, respond to difficulties and modify their activities to suit needs and to ensure engagement and comfort.
- Facilitate effective group interaction to maintain group control, engagement and safety.
- Encourage and support learners during lessons.
- Encourage and respond to learner questions about activities and their technique.
- Use communication techniques that provide positive reinforcement and motivation to learners.
- Highlight learners’ key strengths and provide information about progression of skills.
- Evaluate the lesson.
- Seek learner feedback and evaluate satisfaction with lesson and skill progression.
- Evaluate own performance and identify areas for improvement.
- Complete documentation for learner progress, lesson delivery and evaluation according to organisational recordkeeping procedures.
Foundation skills essential to performance in this unit, but not explicit in the performance criteria are listed here, along with a brief context statement.
Reading skills to:
- interpret sometimes unfamiliar lesson plans which include swimming terminology and abbreviations.
- interpret detailed familiar procedures for teaching and reporting on swimming lessons.
Writing skills to:
- use fundamental sentence structure to complete records that require factual and subjective information.
Oral communication skills to:
- provide clear and unambiguous information to learners using language and terms easily understood.
Numeracy skills to:
- monitor and adjust lesson plan timings to meet requirements of lesson duration.
Problem-solving skills to:
- critically evaluate successes and failures of lessons to contribute to improvements.
UNIT MAPPING INFORMATION
Supersedes and is not equivalent to SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills.
Companion Volume Implementation Guide