The Technicians Support Services qualifications were last reviewed in 2015 and form part of the HLT Health Training Package.
Within the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC), technicians support services are defined as those mainly engaged in providing human healthcare and social assistance.
Units providing these services apply common processes in which practitioners with the requisite qualifications are integral to service delivery.
Technicians support services includes the following sub-sectors:
- Cardiac technology
- Health administration
- Medical practice assisting
- Operating theatre support
- Sterilisation services.
Employment in the sector is provided by public and private organisations.
- Admissions clerk
- Anaesthesia technician
- Biomedical laboratory assistant
- Cardiac technician
- Clinical coding clerk
- Central sterile services department (CSSD) supervisor
- Dispensing technician or assistant
- Executive assistant
- Health administrative worker or supervisor
- Hospital pharmacy assistant or technician
- Instrument technician
- Medical practice assistant or receptionist
- Medical records section leader
- Medical secretary
- Optical dispenser
- Pathology collector
- Pharmacy assistant or technician
- Practice manager
- Senior clinical coder
- Senior pharmacy technician
- Senior theatre technician or wardsperson
- Screening audiometrist
- Specimen collection officer and specialist specimen collectors (pathology)
- Sterilisation technician or supervisor
- Ward clerk or Wardsperson.
The VET qualifications that cater to this sector are:
HLT37015 Certificate III in Sterilisation Services
HLT37115 Certificate III in Hospital/Health Services Pharmacy Support
HLT37215 Certificate III in Pathology Collection
HLT37315 Certificate III in Health Administration
HLT37415 Certificate III in Pathology Assistance
HLT47015 Certificate IV in Sterilisation Services
HLT47115 Certificate IV in Hospital/Health Services Pharmacy Support
HLT47315 Certificate IV in Health Administration
HLT47415 Certificate IV in Audiometry
HLT47515Certificate IV in Operating Theatre Technical Support
HLT47615 Certificate IV in Cardiac Technology
HLT47715 Certificate IV in Medical Practice Assisting
HLT47815 Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing
HLT57415 Diploma of Audiometry
HLT57715 Diploma of Practice Management
HLT57915 Diploma of Anaesthetic Technology.
Links to view and download the content for each of these qualifications may be found in our Training Packages section.
Technicians Support Services IRC Industry Skills Forecasts
CLICK HERE to download the 2017 Technicians Support Services IRC Industry Skills Forecast.
CLICK HERE to download the 2018 Technicians Support Services IRC Industry Skills Forecast.
CLICK HERE to download the 2019 Technicians Support Services IRC Industry Skills Forecast.