Other Projects & Case Studies
Children’s Education and Care Training Package Development: Training Package Update Complete
SkillsIQ, under the direction of the Children’s Education and Care Industry Reference Committee (IRC) and a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), has completed an update of the Training Package Products in the Children’s Education and Care sector. These include qualifications relating to Early Childhood Education, School Age Care and Education Support.
This update has addressed the outcomes of an ASQA strategic review and updated the Training Package Products in response to the Case for Change findings. It has actioned input received in response to Children's Education and Care consultation papers and feedback progressively received throughout the project to ensure revised Training Package Products to reflect the current skills needs of the sector.
This review continued on from previous work regarding the 2015 Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) strategic review, Training for early childhood education and care in Australia. The ASQA findings and broader issues related to the Children’s Education and Care Qualifications and Units of Competency contained in the CHC Training Package.
The following six Qualifications and associated 65 Units of Competency in the Children’s Education and Care Sector were reviewed:
- CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC40113 Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care
- CHC50213 Diploma of School Aged Education and Care
- CHC30213 Certificate III in Education Support
- CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support.
We thank everyone who has submitted material and attended workshops to inform this project.
This project was directed by the Children's Education and Care IRC. The membership of this IRC is as follows:
A Technical Advisory Committee was also convened to provide information and support the progress of this project. The TAC membership was as follows:
Project Status - Approved and Published
The AISC considered the proposed training package development and update at its meeting on 23 February 2021 and again. The submission was approved and the following TP Products are now published on training.gov.au.
The AISC considered the proposed training package update at its meeting on the 23rd February 2021 and again at the meeting on the 20th April 2021. The endorsement by the State and Territory Skills Ministers was confirmed on the 8th July 2021 and the final changes to the training package are summarised as follows –
Approval of five qualifications:
- CHC30121 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC50221 Diploma of School Age Education and Care
- CHC30221 Certificate III in School Based Education Support
- CHC40221 Certificate IV in School Based Education Support
- CHC50121 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care.
- CHC40113 Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care remains unchanged. This Qualification has been endorsed for deletion by 30 June 2022, when it is expected that an accredited course, currently under development, Certificate III in Out of School Hours Care, will be available for implementation.