This update will address the outcomes of the ASQA strategic review and update Training Package Products to respond to Case for Change findings, action input received in response to Children’s Education and Care consultation paper and ensure revised products reflect current industry skills needs.
This review continues from previous work in response to the 2015 Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) strategic review, Training for early childhood education and care in Australia. The ASQA findings and broader issues relate to the children’s education and care qualifications and units of competency contained in the CHC Training Package.
The following six qualifications and associated 65 units of competency in the Children’s Education and Care Sector are currently under review:
- CHC30113 Certificate III in Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC50113 Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care
- CHC40113 Certificate IV in School Age Education and Care
- CHC50213 Diploma of School Aged Education and Care
- CHC30213 Certificate III in Education Support
- CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support.
Draft 1 Training Package Products were available for comment on the SkillsIQ online Feedback Forum from November 2017-February 2018. To view Draft 1 Training Package Products and the feedback and comments received, please CLICK HERE.
We thank everyone who submitted material and attended workshops to inform this initial stage of the project.
Key issues include:
- Scope of work roles particularly in the Education Support area
- The role of an Educational Leader
- Family Day Care and Outside of School Hours roles
- Certificate III as an Entry Requirement for the Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care
- Regional and remote communities and Budget-Based Funded Services
- Strengthening alignment and pathways with job outcomes in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Skills and content updates
- Updating of terminology to align to current language, frameworks and social changes
- Consideration of recommendations from the Victorian Royal Commission into Family Violence and the Federal Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
Addressing these issues has significantly extended the scope of this project and as a result, the time required to prepare draft 2 materials. We now envisage that draft 2 materials will be available in November 2018 with submission for endorsement in February 2019.
For further information, please contact Marianne Wehby on (02) 9392 8100 or Marianne.Wehby@skillsiq.com.au