Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Observe and interact with children.
- Identify children’s interests, ideas, knowledge, skills and strengths based on observation and interactions.
- Investigate and understand a range of observation techniques.
- Seek guidance from colleagues about observation tools and processes.
- Select appropriate observation technique according to the context of the observation.
- Seek information from secondary sources.
- Use children’s records to identify information that is relevant to curriculum planning.
- Collaborate with others to collect information about each child’s needs, interests, skills and cultural practices.
- Record and communicate information
- Observe child and accurately record meaningful information according to service requirements.
- Discuss information gathered with relevant people to inform planning.
- Discuss and record information in ways that are free from bias and negative labelling of children.
- Analyse & interpret information and observations
- Critically reflect on information gathered from observations and secondary sources.
- Identify and use opportunities to discuss reflections with colleagues and gain their perspectives.
- Identify learning and development aspects of the child based on gathered information.
- Determine and document links to the approved learning framework.
- Contribute to curriculum planning.
- Use information gathered and own reflections about the child to contribute to the planning of programs that promote children’s learning, development and wellbeing.
- Use information gathered about the child to support interactions that are responsive and respectful of individual needs.