Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Apply principals and aims of a palliative approach when supporting people.
- Recognise the holistic needs of the person extending over time, not just end-of-life.
- Support the person, carer, family and others identified by the person to express needs and preferences and report information to supervisor.
- Communicate with the person, carer, family and others identified by the person in relation to the person’s quality-of-life, pain and comfort and report information to supervisor.
- Adjust communication techniques to meet the individual needs of the person and their carer, family and others.
- Respect the carer, family and others as an integral part of the care team and ensure that they have the information and support needed.
- Respect the person’s preferences for quality-of-life choices.
- Create a supportive environment that encourages the person, carer, family and others to share information regarding changing needs and preferences.
- Respect the person’s individuality, values and beliefs in the context of support provision.
- Identify needs and issues outside the scope of own job role and refer to supervisor.
- Communicate with person, carer, families and others in a manner that shows empathy and provides emotional support.
- Follow the person’s advance care directives in the individualised plan.
- Interpret and follow advance care directives in the individualised plan in accordance with own job role and organisation, legal and ethical requirements.
- Comply with end-of-life decisions as documented in the individualised plan and in accordance with legal requirements.
- Report the person’s changing needs and issues in relation to end-of-life for documentation in the individualised plan according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Monitor the impact of the person’s end-of-life needs, issues and decisions on carer, families and others and refer to appropriate member of the care team for support according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Deliver services in a manner that supports the person’s right to choose the location of their end-of-life care.
- Respond to signs of pain and other symptoms.
- Observe and document the person’s pain and other symptoms in line with individualised plan and report to appropriate member of the care team.
- Implement strategies to manage pain and promote comfort in line with individualised plan and within scope of own job role.
- Document effectiveness of pain management strategies.
- Refer to supervisor any misconceptions in the workplace surrounding the use of pain-relieving medication.
- Follow end-of-life care strategies.
- Regularly check for any changes on individualised plan that indicate decisions made by the person have been reviewed.
- Provide a supportive environment to the person, carer, families and others involved in end-of-life care.
- Respect and support the person’s preferences and culture when providing end-of-life care according to individualised plan and within scope of own job role.
- Maintain dignity of the person when providing planned end-of-life care and care immediately following death.
- Recognise any signs of the person’s deterioration or imminent death and dying and report to appropriate member of care team according to organisational policies and procedures.
- Provide emotional support to carer, families and others when a death has occurred within scope of own job role.
- Manage own emotional responses and ethical issues.
- Follow organisational policies and procedures to manage own emotional responses and ethical issues.
- Identify and reflect on own emotional responses to death and dying and raise and discuss any issues or reactions with supervisor or other appropriate person.
- Raise any ethical issues or concerns with supervisor or other appropriate person.
- Identify and action self-care strategies to address the potential impact of personal responses on self.
- Access bereavement care and support of other team members as needed.