Prepare and maintain community health profile
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to create, review and amend an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community health profile using existing information sources and a pre-established profile format. The community health profile can be used for a range of purposes including service, program, workforce and research planning.
This unit applies to senior roles in Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander organisations that provide primary health care and other support services to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander clients and communities. It is specific to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people working as health workers or health practitioners.
No regulatory requirement for certification, occupational or business licensing is linked to this unit at the time of publication. For information about practitioner registration and accredited courses of study, contact the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Practice Board of Australia (ATSIHPBA).
Community Health Research
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Health
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Prepare for community health profile development.
- Identify scope of the community or region and diversity of locations and cultural groups to ensure full representation.
- Identify community stakeholders and obtain community agreement to develop the profile.
- Establish priorities and timelines for action in consultation with primary health care team.
- Identify key uses for the health profile and determine type of required information to meet identified purposes.
- Access information that will contribute to the profile.
- Create Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community health profile.
- Review information sources to confirm accuracy.
- Select and prepare information that meets profile requirements.
- Compile information into community health profile document according to organisational format and guidelines.
- Identify and provide profile information required by organisation and community representatives.
- Review Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community health profile.
- Identify timelines and workflow implications for reviewing community health profile based on organisational policy.
- Review and update community health profile when new and relevant information becomes available.
- Consult key organisation and community representatives to review the profile according to changing community health needs.
- Identify and consider current and emerging requirements of relevant agencies when reviewing the profile.
- Amend community health profile.
- Incorporate new and changed community needs, issues and priorities into community health profile documentation.
- Amend information systems and records to reflect changes according to organisational procedures.
- Communicate updated information to organisation and community representatives.
Foundation skills essential to performance in this unit, but not explicit in the performance criteria are listed here, along with a brief context statement.
Reading skills to:
- interpret detailed familiar organisational policy and procedures
- interpret varied, unfamiliar and potentially complex information about community health.
Writing skills to:
- integrate information from a range of sources to create a cohesive document
- use drafting and proofreading strategies.
Oral communication skills to:
- ask open and closed probe questions and actively listen during team and community interactions.
Numeracy skills to:
- use raw data to calculate and represent statistics by percentage
- produce charts, graphs and tables to represent key numerical measurements.
Teamwork skills to:
- work cooperatively with community and primary health care team members.
Technology skills to:
- populate pre-formatted digital documentation
- use software features to produce charts, graphs and tables
- amend digital information systems and records.
UNIT MAPPING INFORMATION
No equivalent unit.
For details, refer to the full mapping table in the Draft 2 Validation Guide.
Companion Volume Implementation Guide