Provide hire equipment for activities
This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to prepare, demonstrate and store hire equipment for sport, fitness, aqua and recreation activities.
This unit applies to any type of sport, fitness, aquatic or recreation organisation including commercial, not-for-profit, community and government organisations. It can be applied to any type of environment, and to specific equipment used for any type of sport, fitness, aquatic or recreation activity.
It applies to individuals working in a range of sport, fitness, aquatic or recreation roles at different levels of responsibility, but usually to those who work under supervision.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Program Planning and Delivery
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Identify equipment requirements.
- Determine and check availability of activity equipment required by participants according to activity schedules.
- Explain hire information and deposit charges to participants.
- Collect, secure and record hire payments and deposits according to organisational procedures.
- Issue and set up equipment.
- Issue suitable equipment, and provide assistance with fitting personal protective equipment when needed.
- Set up, explain and demonstrate safe use of activity equipment to participants.
- Monitor safe use of equipment for intended purposes and report problems according to organisational procedures.
- Dismantle and check equipment.
- Dismantle equipment safely according to manufacturer instructions.
- Check, record and report damaged or missing equipment according to manufacturer instructions and organisational procedures.
- Refund deposits on return of equipment and adjust for missing or damaged equipment.
- Withdraw and dispose of equipment with expired life spans according to manufacturer instructions.
- Store equipment.
- Handle activity equipment using safe manual handling techniques and store in appropriate conditions according to manufacturer instructions.
- Maintain order of storage facility to allow safe and efficient access to equipment, and safe exit in the case of an emergency.
- Update records of stored equipment according to organisational procedures.
Foundation skills essential to performance in this unit, but not explicit in the performance criteria are listed here, along with a brief context statement.
Reading skills to:
- interpret detailed familiar organisational procedures for hiring equipment.
- interpret potentially unfamiliar manufacturer instructions for equipment use, damage testing and storage.
Writing skills to:
- use fundamental sentence structure to complete basic forms and reports that require factual information.
Oral communication skills to:
- ask open and closed questions to determine participant needs.
Numeracy skills to:
- interpret numerical information in activity schedules involving quantity and dates and times
- calculate hire charges and deposits, refunds and adjustments for damaged or lost equipment.
UNIT MAPPING INFORMATION
Supersedes and is equivalent to SISXCAI001 Provide equipment for activities
Companion Volume Implementation Guide