This unit describes the performance outcomes, skills and knowledge required to establish and facilitate the effective functioning of a group of people participating in a sport, fitness, aquatic or recreation activity.
This unit applies to any type of sport, fitness, aquatic or recreation organisation including commercial, not-for-profit, community and government organisations. It can be applied to any type of facility.
It applies to individuals working independently with groups in a range of roles including swim teachers, activity leaders and coaches.
The skills in this unit must be applied in accordance with Commonwealth and State or Territory legislation, Australian standards and industry codes of practice.
No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this unit at the time of publication.
Program Planning and Delivery
Elements describe the essential outcomes
Performance criteria describe the performance needed to demonstrate achievement of the element.
- Establish group facilitation plan.
- Establish activity goals of individuals and group.
- Identify group dynamics and potential barriers to group cohesion and performance.
- Determine and communicate group facilitation plan to meet needs and activity outcomes.
- Develop group commitment and cooperation.
- Develop group effectiveness through active participation of all group members.
- Monitor and review group development and performance.
- Implement strategies to reduce and eliminate barriers to effective group cohesion.
- Establish trust, confidence and ownership in group decision-making, feedback and problem-solving processes.
- Facilitate group processes and performance.
- Develop group cohesion and collaboration to encourage effective group relationships.
- Facilitate individual engagement while maintaining group cohesion.
- Devolve responsibility and accountability to group members, where appropriate.
- Implement effective conflict-resolution strategies when required.
- Monitor and adjust group performance using effective group management techniques.
Foundation skills essential to performance in this unit, but not explicit in the performance criteria are listed here, along with a brief context statement.
Problem-solving skills to:
- address activity-specific problems and participant interaction issues or conflict to enable smooth functioning of the group.
UNIT MAPPING INFORMATION
Supersedes and is equivalent to SISXCAI006 Facilitate groups
Companion Volume Implementation Guide