SkillsIQ, under the direction of the First Aid Industry Reference Committee, has embarked upon a project to review skills needs for people who provide First Aid. This will inform potential changes in current First Aid Units to ensure skills training is in line with workforce needs and expectations.
The HLTAID First Aid Competency Standards were developed to provide a set of robust, industry-supported standards for people providing First Aid to others.
In these instances, the Statement of Attainment provides evidence to the employer and the community that the worker has the skills and knowledge to be able to provide a First Aid response and sustain life in the event of an emergency.
A widespread multi-channel consultation involving a broad range of stakeholders was conducted to identify and validate the exact nature of the skills needs in the industry and the respective Training Package Product update requirements.
As a result, industry has identified four key drivers for change in the First Aid Training Package Products, as follows:
- Changes in industry best practice
- Diversity in the scope and breadth of First Aid
- An increase in clarity and uniformity in the content of the Units of Competency wherever possible
- Increased recognition of the role of mental health support in the provision of First Aid.
Consequently, the First Aid IRC has proposed changes which will involve:
- A review of the current Units of Competency to reflect industry best practice and current regulation
- A review of the current Units of Competency to ensure their scope and breadth are reflective of industry expectations
- Consideration of the skills requirements in specific areas, such as asthma and anaphylaxis.
- Consideration of the need for additional criteria to address First Aid in relation to mental health.
To take forward Training Package Product development work, the First Aid Industry Reference Committee (IRC) will subsequently review and confirm the changes required for the development of Draft 2, based on feedback received from the first round of consultation.
The First Aid IRC is comprised of a number of key expert stakeholders within the industry, as follows:
Consultation of Draft 1 commenced on Wednesday, 07 August and will close at 5.00pm on Friday, 20 September 2019.
The Draft 1 consultation period will seek feedback on eight Units of Competency:
- HLTAID009 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
- HLTAID010 Provide basic emergency life support
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
- HLTAID012 Provide an emergency First Aid response in an education and care setting
- HLTAID013 Provide First Aid in remote situations
- HLTAID014 Provide advanced First Aid
- HLTAID015 Provide advanced resuscitation.
Please Click Here to access Draft 1 documents, including a Consultation Guide.
Figure 1: Stages of Training Package Product development.
Consultation Activities: Round 1
- Monday, 12 August: 2:30pm – 3:30pm AEST - closed
- Wednesday, 14 August: 10:00am – 11:00am AEST - closed
- Monday, 19 August: 4:00pm – 5:00pm AEST - closed
- Tuesday, 17 September: 10:00am - 11:00am AEST - closed
- Thursday, 19 September: 4:00pm - 5:00pm AEST - closed
Please click here to access the PowerPoint presentation slides used in the webinars conducted in August 2019.